Generally speaking, teaching naive players how to play is one of the key challenges of game design. It becomes harder for multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) games because of the complexity of game features and the challenge of teaching a multiplayer game via a single player experience. Since League of Legends is my favorite MOBA game and I am very familiar with it, I decided to take this game as a case study and combine it with my educational background to talk about its tutorial design and my suggestions.
League of Legends is a multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) video game developed by Riot Games. The tutorial is a single player experience in which the player is guided to learn the basics and more complex concepts of the League of Legends gameplay.
1. Make our guests comfortable
- Children-friendly vocabulary
2. Ask more helpful questions
- Give choices for questions
3. How to Collect data
- Separated roles for notetakers
4. How to test when you have incomplete build
- Paper prototypes!
5. Sometimes we need to change the playetest midway